Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Mission: Jewelry Organization

 So, I have a slight obsession with jewelry. I have a lot of different items, and didn't have a good way to organize them. I finally found a couple ideas on pinterest, combined with an item from Thirty-One Gifts that perfectly organize all my baubles and bangles!
Here is what my necklaces looked like before:

Just a bunch of necklaces hanging on C hooks that I screwed into the wall. At first it worked, but my necklace collection grew too much to continue to fit! The necklaces became a mess and it was difficult to get them off the hooks because they were over-crowded and getting tangled.
Solution: A jewelry pegboard! I saw the idea on pinterest: 
http://buttonbirddesigns.com/out-of-sight-out-of-mind/ 
but this blog post didn't have any instructions.

One weekend I had it in my head to get this done, but my husband was out of town. I am a very determined person, and I decided I was going to make this thing, even if Joel was gone for the weekend. So, I broke out the power tools and measuring tape and got it done! (Though there was a little bit of frustration when I was trying to find the studs. And I gave up for a few days, but eventually got it done. All by myself.)

We already had a long piece of pegboard, which I had to trim a little bit. It was a few inches too long to fit on the wall. So I got the saw out and cut off the excess and sanded it then spray-painted it purple.



I couldn't just put the pegboard right on the wall because the hooks wouldn't have fit in because the backs are deeper than the pegboard. So, I found a few old bed slats in the garage that were about an inch thick. I put three of these up. One towards the ceiling, one towards the baseboard, and one towards the midway point.
 After the wood was up, I screwed the pegboard into those.

 And then added my hooks - lots of them! I also added a couple longer hooks to hold a shelf up. On the high part of the pegboard I put items that I don't wear often.
















The shelf holds a couple of ice cube trays which is filled with all of my earrings. The nice thing about this is that I can always add more ice cube trays, since they are easily stackable. :)

For my bracelets, I ordered a Littles Carry-All Caddy from Thirty-One Gifts (www.mythirtyone.com/sjsvenby). The caddy is only $12 (plus $7 for personalization), and has so many great uses!




My jewelry is now much more organized, and it is easy to find what I need in the morning. I love it! And the plus side is we already had the pegboard, the slats of wood, and the screws on hand at home. I only had to purchase the hooks and the little shelf, which only cost me a total of about $22. Not bad!

(Sorry the pictures aren't great. It was hard to get them because of the tight space in my closet, especially since this is right where the door opens up.)

No comments:

Post a Comment