Thursday, August 6, 2015

The difference of 10 years

  Earlier this year on a staff retreat, we were posed the question, "What has changed for you in the last 10 years?" When I heard the question, sitting there as the youngest (by about 13 years) person in the room, I couldn't help but chuckle out loud. At 32 years old, it would be easier to answer the question "what HASN'T changed in the last 10 years?" The Earth still revolves around the sun, the sky is still blue, grass is green.

Ten years ago I was a young woman, barely out of college. I thought I knew who I was, but I still didn't have a clue! In the last ten years, my life has completely changed. Professionally, I've gone from my life-long dream of becoming a teacher to realizing my true gifts and talents working in my call to ministry. That alone has been a big change with the transition from teaching Spanish to working in youth ministry and faith formation. I've gone from being a single woman to a wife and mother. I have dealt with medical issues, cancer in my family, job changes, building a house, and so much more.

But the biggest transition has been going from "me" to "we." Ten years ago today I married my best friend. The one who can make me laugh even when I'm angry. The one who supports me in every crazy idea I have. The one who makes me take a look at myself and the way I handle things. The one who is always there for me no matter what.

In our last ten years we have dealt with our own hospitalizations, family illnesses, moves, the ups and downs of home ownership, puppy training, and parenting. The road hasn't always been easy, but it has always been worth it. I wouldn't trade our crazy little life of ups and downs with our three beautiful daughters for anything!

In the last ten years we've grown from this:

To this:

 Our house is filled with love and laughter. And of course, with three young girls, lots of screams and drama!

Happy 10th Anniversary, Joel! Here's to many more decades together. I'd say "I do" to you all over again.

No comments:

Post a Comment