Sunday, October 9, 2011

Say Hey!

Wow! A 5K! For some, it's an easy task, but for me it was a challenge. A challenge that I gave myself on the road to health and fitness.


About five years ago, Joel and I were in a 5K training class. About halfway through the program, we found out I was pregnant. We stuck with it and finished out the course. But, we never got around to actually running a 5K. Though, by the end of the program we were probably running the equivalent of a 5K. It's probably needless to say that I did not strap my running shoes back on again for a long time!


A few years (and one baby later) I decided it was time to strap on those running shoes again. The school had started an after school run club, and needed adults to be out running with the kids. I thought it would be a good way to get back into running. I had obviously forgotten that little kids run full speed ahead, and don't have to stop to catch their breath! So, that round of running lasted for the few weeks that the run club did.


Another couple of years (and another baby) later, I joined Weight Watchers and they had a 5K challenge. All you had to do was walk a 5K, and you would get a charm for your keychain. (I am addicted to getting awards at WW meetings - it's my little moment to shine.) So, I decided that I was going to get back on the running bandwagon. This time I was not only going to train for a 5K, I was going to run it!


So, how did the race go? It was great! I knew I would be able to finish the 3 miles, even if I had to walk it, so my goal for myself was to run more than I walked. Well, I was able to "run" the whole time. A very slow, 12+ minutes per mile run, but I did it! I was the last of the runners to come in, at 40:48, the walkers started coming in about a minute later. So, I was slow, but I don't care. I did this for me and only me. The cool things about this race are that it was the day after my 29th birthday, and it was the first annual Say Hey 5K in downtown Chaska. I think I may have to start doing this one every year!


My new goal is to continue running and do the Warrior Dash next year. Crazy? Yes! Difficult? Definitely! Rewarding? For sure! I can't wait!










Note: I did another 5K a few months later (without any training runs), and pushing Emmy in the stroller. At this one, I did walk a bit, but came in a second faster than I did at the first one! And the funny thing about this one is it was the day after Emmy's first birthday. I guess I will have to find a 5K for everybody's birthday now!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment